streams

streams

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Worldly Validation

If I am home by myself during lunchtime, I usually make myself a salad. I chop up the ingredients into bite-size pieces, mix everything with oil and vinegar, and let it marinate for a few minutes before eating it. I can find satisfaction in a salad during the day. But, when I’m worn out at the end of the day, I just want a bag of chips.

Worldly validation is a lot like a bag of chips. It gives you a quick high, and it's fast and easy. Divine validation is like a salad that you have to chop and put together. It's a lot of work, and sometimes after you've made it, you don't really feel like eating it. But, in the long run, it is more nourishing and satisfying. Even though I understand this concept, given the choice between salad and chips, I would pick the chips. I want quick satisfaction, especially when I’m feeling worn out or insecure.

Even though we are all tempted to measure our worthiness and value by the feedback we get from the world--it really is a junky way of going about it. Uncovering our real worth requires a lot of inner work--the kind that comes from introspection and deep conversations. I think, for now, we all need more salad--but an occasional bag of chips wouldn’t hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment