streams

streams

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Prescription for Discouragement

“Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again--My Savior and my God! (Psalm 42:5 NLT)

Praise and gratitude are the best medicines for discouragement. Praising God reminds us of His greatness. Thanking God allows us to recall His goodness.

Next time you feel discouraged try this: Set a timer for 1 minute. Praise God for his character--for who He is. Reset the timer for another minute. Thank God for all He has done for you. I have found that this  2-minute, spiritual practice can prevent me from spiraling into despondency. This exercise does more for me than for God. Praise and gratitude encourage my faith.

Lord, I praise You--for You are wonderful, glorious, trustworthy, dependable, creative, caring, loving, merciful, comforting, strengthening, protective, always-there.

Lord, I thank You--for all that You have done for me and my loved ones--for all the answered prayers, for providing for us, for healing us, for taking care of us, for never abandoning us, for directing and guiding us, for protecting us from evil, and for every blessing.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post and for the prayer. I needed this. I also shut everything off of exterior noise and did set the timer and said these prayers to God. When I finished I took a deep breath and felt the love and protection. I then copied and pasted to print this out so I may keep this by me as a reminder that God needs His Thank You too.

    ReplyDelete