streams

streams

Monday, April 13, 2015

Micro Ministry

“God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea.” (Psalm 46:1-2 NLT)


I first met Elnora at work. She was an African-American, single mom from the deep South. She had a quiet spirit, bright eyes, and an engaging smile. But what set her apart from the rest of my coworkers was her irrational trust in God.  She possessed the ‘peace of God, which surpasses all understanding’ that is mentioned in Philippians 4:7. I wanted what she had. So I glommed onto her whenever I could. She gently passed on her faith, mostly by example.


Over the last 20 years, I have kept in touch with Elnora. Every time I contact her, she is in a new place, following the voice within her spirit to minister to the underserved. Recently, she and her sisters moved once again--following God’s prompting. Their ministry is low-profile. They work with individuals, small groups, new churches--praying, helping with clerical work, organizing children’s ministries--doing whatever they feel led to do. Elnora and her sisters will probably never be heads of mega churches, but through their micro ministries, they have influenced countless people, including me.


Even after all these years, I haven’t reached Elnora’s level of trust in God. Elnora goes out into the unknown, following God’s nudges. She doesn’t feel the need to work out every detail in advance. She acknowledges that God is in control. She prioritizes God’s will above her own. She accepts every circumstance as training--preparing her for future assignments. She patiently awaits God’s timing. She reminds me of a first responder who runs into a collapsing building while others are rushing out. While most of us run away from uncertainty, Elnora confidently follows God right into the thick of it.

(cont.)

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading the continuation of Elnora's faith in God of letting go of doubt and following a way of life of letting go and letting God.

    ReplyDelete