streams

streams

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Comfy Pants

“You were taught to change the way you were living. The person you used to be will ruin you through desires that deceive you.” (Ephesians 4:22 GWT)

One of my New Year’s resolutions was to get rid of some of my old clothes. I have a bunch of comfy pants that are ideal for lounging around the house. They have elastic waists and are made of soft, stretchy fabric. These clothes may have been flattering when I bought them about ten years ago, but now they are worn and raggedy. It’s time to get them out of my house.

Similarly, I have some old, comfy habits that stretch to fit my desires and conform to long-held ideas. Some of these practices are preventing me from drawing closer to God. It takes a certain amount of work to change attitudes, to replace antiquated ideas, and  to relinquish worn-out viewpoints.

"Cast away thy sloth, thy lethargy, thy coldness, or whatever interferes with thy chaste and pure love to Christ. Make Him the source, the center, and the circumference of all thy soul's range of delight." (Streams in the Desert)

Lord, purify us. Help us to get rid of anything that prevents us from getting close to You. You are the source and center of true joy and contentment. May Your all-encompassing love envelope us. May we seek satisfaction in You alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment