streams

streams

Monday, February 22, 2016

Kindness vs. Self-rigteousness

“I prefer a flexible heart to an inflexible ritual.” (Matthew 12:7 MSG)

Would you rather be kind or would you rather be right?

For example, let’s say a family member, friend, or coworker did something that you think is wrong. You could tell them how you disapprove of their behavior and prove how you were right all along. OR, you could show compassion and kindness.

I would rather not choose, but when I have to...the satisfaction of proving my point takes over. I see every mistake as an opportunity to learn a lesson--and I often appoint myself as the teacher. I rarely question what I think is right. I pride myself on my superior moral choices. My self-righteousness overpowers kindness. I justify my judgmentalism in various ways--I am being honest, transparent, and helpful.

Jesus prefers a flexible heart over moralistic legalism. Over and over again, He shows compassion to sinners. He doesn’t lecture them or remind them of their mistakes. He loves unconditionally. Jesus asks us to follow his example--to love, forgive, and be kind. Self-righteousness rarely improves any situation, whereas love and acceptance lead to transformation.

Lord, help us to choose kindness over self-righteousness. Show us how to listen empathetically, accept graciously, and love unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment