streams

streams

Monday, February 29, 2016

Wrong Way

“He did evil because he had not set his heart on seeking the LORD.” (2 Chronicles 12:14 NIV)

It was a foggy evening, and I was on an unfamiliar country road. I had been driving around for a while trying to find a friend’s house. She had  told me to look for a tan colored house on a certain street. It was too dark and foggy to see anything. I followed the GPS directions. I knocked on a stranger’s door, only to be informed that I had the wrong place. I kept calling my friend, but she wasn’t answering her phone. I kept driving and searching...
Temptation is often described as merely looking for love in all the wrong places. Most of us spend our entire lives searching for acceptance. We drive down dark roads and knock on strange doors. Giving in to temptation never leads to genuine love, validation, respect, or satisfaction. At most it may provide a temporary distraction from feelings of emptiness.  Sometimes temptations are camouflaged as opportunities.  It’s like the one house with its porch light on a dark, rural road.  When you can’t find what you are looking for, you settle for what is available--hoping that everything will turn out okay. However, you may end up knocking on the door of a man with a shotgun pointed at you.

Lord, keep us from looking for love, acceptance, and satisfaction in places other than You.  Answer when we call. Come find us when we are lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment