streams

streams

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Sharpened by Suffering

“We know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next.” (Romans 5:3-4 MSG)
The scars are still there. They should remind me that I have overcome adversity. They should be badges of honor. Yet, I hide them. Am I ashamed of suffering? 
Traumatic events sharpen us.  A sharp knife can be useful when it is used to prepare a meal for family and friends. It can also be harmful if used for self-mutilation or to stab others. Suffering can make us stronger and more empathetic. It can also make us insecure, resentful, and cranky. 
I am rarely graceful in the midst of affliction. Instead, I’m filled with frustration, self-pity, and indignation. Later...much later...God takes the broken pieces and shapes my pain into something useful. Physical and emotional scars remind me that God has brought me through adversity, and I am stronger because of it. So now when the pain comes, I wait expectantly...to see how God will sharpen me for His purposes.
Lord, may no suffering be wasted. Mold us, sharpen us, and make us useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment