streams

streams

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Dependence on God

“Your salvation requires you to turn back to me and stop your silly efforts to save yourselves. Your strength will come from settling down in complete dependence on me - The very thing you've been unwilling to do.” (Isaiah 30:15 MSG)

As part of my training for running, I have been using unstable surfaces to increase balance and strengthen my core. There are a lot of ways to do this: One can run on uneven trails, use bosu balls or wobble boards, or even stand on one leg on a pillow. Since I am usually one of those people who avoids uncertainty and instability at all costs, the fact that I’m voluntarily seeking unstable situations might seem goofy. But, I have learned several things from these new exercises. First of all, I have to focus more than I would on a stable surface. I have to engage my core. I notice that I throw my arms out and up a lot when I’m off balance.

Uncertainty prods us to engage our core faith. It shifts our focus. We realize that our natural abilities and resources are not as dependable as we thought. This forces us to relinquish our illusions of self-sufficiency, security, and balance. We are more likely to throw up our hands and ask God for help. The more we practice, the more we get the hang of this new way of living. In time, we learn to settle down in complete dependence on God.


No comments:

Post a Comment