streams

streams

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Healing

“Stretch out your hand with healing power;” (Acts 4:30 NLT)

I have a friend who seems to have the ‘gift of healing.’ She will touch people, pray for them, and some of them are healed. According to her, God’s healing power is available for all who are receptive. I’m skeptical about this whole thing. It raises a lot of questions for me: Why are some healed, but not all? Is it necessary to physically touch the person? How do we know that someone is really healed? If the healing power is from God, what part do humans play in it? I asked my friend these questions, but her answers seemed vague to me. I prayed for understanding, but nothing came to me.

This morning, I was watering my indoor plants. I have a sink near my plants, but I need some sort of container to transfer water from the faucet to the plants. I usually keep a pitcher next to the plants for this purpose, but I will use whatever is available--cups, bowls, cans--as long as it fits under the faucet and it’s not difficult to handle. Containers may have the capacity to carry water, but they don’t have the capacity to understand botany and the growth process.

This must be how God’s healing power works. We are His containers. He will use anyone who is available and receptive. We have to be open and willing to be used.  We have to patiently wait under Him, until we are filled.

I’m still not clear about all the details, but I felt that God helped me understand one small part of this mystery. My part is to daily choose to be available, obedient, trusting, and willing--even though I may never understand how the whole process works.

No comments:

Post a Comment