streams

streams

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Longing

“I long, yes, I faint with longing to enter the courts of the LORD. With my whole being, body and soul, I will shout joyfully to the living God.” (Psalm 84:2 NIV)

My husband and I like to eat snacks while watching TV. Many evenings, we feel like eating ‘something’--but we are not sure what we are craving. We will rummage through the pantry and try a few bites of whatever we can find, but nothing really hits the spot.

The season of Advent is a time of waiting. Our hearts long for something that we can’t even verbalize. Most of us try to fulfill this indescribable yearning with busyness, thrills, novelty, decorations, food, wine, and purchases. Yet, we are left dissatisfied.

Our souls long for intimacy with God. We yearn to know Him, to be near Him, to feel His strength and tenderness. Our whole being cries out for what we crave. Nothing else will satisfy, so don’t even bother! Once we identify what we really desire, we can pursue it wholeheartedly. When we finally get it, we cannot help but express our joy.

“Always dreamed of a room in your house, where I could sing for joy to God-alive!” (Psalm 84:2 MSG)


No comments:

Post a Comment