streams

streams

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Longings of My Soul

“All night long I search for you; in the morning I earnestly seek for God.” (Isaiah 26:9 NLT)

I’m a restless sleeper. I wake up several times each night. I check the time, get a sip of water from the bottle on the nightstand, apply lip balm, and pull the blanket up over me--all in an attempt to get comfortable. I lie awake for hours in a state of semi-consciousness. My mind shapes my anxious thoughts into groggy prayers. My soul keeps searching--buffering in endless loops--waiting for a full picture. My spirit reaches out--feeling around in the dark, hoping to find fulfillment and peace.

I get up out of bed well before dawn. The house is blissfully quiet since my family is still asleep. I get a cup of coffee and settle down in my big, comfy chair. This is my time to earnestly seek God.  I ask that my  eyes be opened--to be awakened completely to God’s presence around me. I study scripture. I take notes. I thank God for who HE is and what HE has done. I submit all my concerns, and then, wait--listening attentively; I take more notes; I pray: Lord, may who I am and what I do today be shaped by Your influence and Your intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment