streams

streams

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Applying What We Learn

“However, the person who continues to study God's perfect teachings that make people free and who remains committed to them will be blessed. People like that don't merely listen and forget; they actually do what God's teachings say.” (James 1:25 GWT)

I’ve always loved learning. When I was in college, I spent years taking notes, making flash cards, memorizing, studying, and taking tests. However, much of what I learned did not have any real life applications, so I’ve forgotten most of it now. In contrast, I can easily remember certain recipes that I’ve used consistently over the years. I didn’t even try to memorize these recipes; they are just imprinted in my mind from repeated use. On days when I am too exhausted to think, I always make one of these recipes.

Studying God’s word has some benefit. Reading, listening, meditating, processing--all help us learn. However, consistently practicing what Christ taught is much more valuable. Jesus modeled compassion, generosity, self-sacrifice, forgiveness, love, non-violence, and inclusivity. He honored the Father by devoting himself to prayer, service to others, and speaking the truth.  Incorporating these lessons into our daily lives requires intentionality. We can imprint these teachings into our minds by consistent application. Then, even during times of adversity, these practices come to us naturally, because they have become a part of who we are. Like Christ, we are enabled to live simply, love unconditionally, pray in the midst of turmoil, have compassion for strangers, and forgive our enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment