streams

streams

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Dedicated Outlets

“No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other.” (Matthew 6:24 NLT)

I only have one electrical outlet in my bathroom. If I want to plug in a hair dryer, an electric toothbrush, and a curling iron at the same time, I have to unplug one device in order to plug the other in. About a year ago, I got a power strip that had multiple outlets. Now I don’t have to choose; I can connect multiple devices simultaneously. I can’t do this with every appliance in my house. The washer, dryer, oven, etc. have their own dedicated outlets and circuits because they use so much power. The shapes of these electrical receptacles are also different from other standard outlets.

I would like to be a dedicated follower of Christ. However, I have a lot of other things I’m passionate about as well. I try to use the power strip approach--I simultaneously try to plug in to the Holy Spirit as well as to my personal agenda.  

We cannot be devoted to multiple things at the same time. Neither can we switch back and forth, unplugging the Spirit so that we can operate our own goals, values, fears, and concerns. The Spirit of God is mighty in power and requires dedicated followers. Complete commitment to Christ transforms us--we no longer conform to the standards of the world. We no longer allow the culture to drag us down into depravity. Instead, we become faithful disciples, single-minded in purpose, abiding in an exclusive relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment