streams

streams

Monday, May 21, 2018

The Lilac Bush

“God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” (Romans 8:28 NLT)

Our lilac is filled with sweet-scented, purple blooms, animated by the gentle breeze. This wasn’t always the case. At first I planted it on the north side of our property. I wanted it to be a hedge. It didn’t thrive. After a few years, I replanted it closer to the house, right outside the east-facing window where I sit and pray every morning. Over the last decade, it has grown exponentially. Its purpose was not to be a hedge after all, but to fill me with hope and inspiration.

“Earth's crammed with heaven, And every common bush afire with God; And only he who sees takes off his shoes.” (Elizabeth Barrett Browning)

God may have spoken to Moses through a burning bush, but He whispered to me through a lilac bush. I didn’t hear any voices, but I listened nonetheless: Put your hope in the Lord. Trust Him. Even  poor choices can be used for His purposes. Every detail of our lives shall be worked into something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment