streams

streams

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Restrictive Thought Patterns

“Wherever the Lord's Spirit is, there is freedom.” (2 Corinthians 3:17 GWT)

What came naturally to most kids--playing games, hand-eye coordination, running without getting winded--all seemed out of my reach when I was in school. I was seen as the nerd. I accepted this label. For the longest time, I saw myself as physically weak and uncoordinated. Thus, when I started running in my late twenties, I constantly doubted myself. Negative messages kept replaying in my mind: Who am I kidding? I could barely run a mile in high school; what makes me think I can do any better after I’ve had a baby? My gait is weird. I’m so slow. I should spend my time on something I’m good at. I am not a runner!”

Your inner critic may repeat messages that are different than mine:
--You are fat and ugly
--You are stupid and everyone knows it
--You are defective
--You have no future, everything is hopeless

Restrictive thought patterns can be our own worst enemy. The way we see ourselves influences our choices and actions. The longer we stay in bondage, the more we succumb to slave mentality. 

There is only one way to free our minds from limitations. Turn to the Holy Spirit. Pray that you may see yourself as God sees you. Ask for a revelation of your true identity. The Spirit will supply you with the energy to rise above human expectations, to soar high on wings of freedom, to be who God created you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment