streams

streams

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Nesting Sparrow

“Even the stork that flies across the sky knows the time of her migration, as do the turtledove, the swallow, and the crane.” (Jeremiah 8:7 NLT)

This morning, I looked out my kitchen window at the freshly cut grass that my son had just mowed. As I was admiring his work, a tiny sparrow perched on the windowsill. She had a bit of dried grass in her beak. She looked me in the eye for a few seconds and then flitted off.

In those few moments....I experienced God.

It’s hard to describe. It was like a momentary revelation...like a picture that  you see on a screen for only a few seconds. I knew that just like the cut grass was my son’s work, this little bird’s instinct to find dry grass and build a nest was the Lord’s handiwork. In that one glimpse, I learned more than I could by reading books, listening to podcasts, watching videos, attending classes, or traveling far away. I understood that God is behind every design.  He upholds the universe and sustains every living creature. There is value in all that He has created. He directs every human and every sparrow. He watches over all that we do and has so much He wants us to know.

“I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in.” (George Washington Carver)

No comments:

Post a Comment