streams

streams

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Lacking Conviction

“We will no longer be immature like children. We won't be tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth.” (Ephesians 4:14 NLT)

People who lack strong convictions are often easy to get along with. Their accommodating nature can make them pleasant companions. Unfortunately, their passivity also makes them targets for deceitful manipulators. Like cars in neutral gear, they can be pushed around without much effort.  

Developing strong convictions requires us to search our conscience deeply.
Who am I?
What do I believe?
What are my standards?
Why do I behave the way I do?
Are my actions congruent with my beliefs?
Are my values worthy enough to pass on to my children? 

Figuring out who we are and what we are about takes time and maturity. We have to leave behind our childish fickleness and shallow thinking. Until we internalize our beliefs, we are easy marks for crafty schemers. Once we have firm convictions, we are no longer swayed by our own whims or the coercion of others. Our foundation is stable. We grow deep roots into our conscience. We choose what we know to be good and turn away from that which is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment