streams

streams

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Balloons and Crosses

“I will know, not the word of them that are puffed up, but the power. For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.” (I Corinthians 4:19-20 ASV)

When I am feeling good about myself, it feels like I am carrying a brightly colored balloon. Anything that makes me feel worthy at the moment--abilities, personal accomplishments, validation from others--all contribute to my confidence. I often fail to recognize this sense of buoyancy as a form of pride.  

If someone comes along and pokes my happy balloon with a pin, I feel deflated. My immediate reaction is to retaliate, to burst their balloon as well. It doesn’t bring back what I lost, but it seems fair that the person who makes me feel miserable should experience the same emotion. Just as we use praise to puff up those we want to please, we also employ sharp words, criticism, sarcasm, and disappointment to prick the egos of those we want to deflate. This is human nature.

God’s way is different. It is not about carrying around ego balloons puffed up by pride. The symbol of God’s power is the cross. Those who follow Christ cling to the cross; they have no space in their lives for arrogance. The cross is impervious to humiliation--for it already represents submission. The cross cannot be pricked by sharp criticism--for it expresses love beyond words. The cross cannot be disgraced--for it is the sign of ultimate grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment