streams

streams

Friday, November 16, 2018

Prayer Prep

"If only you would prepare your heart and lift up your hands to him in prayer!” (Job 11:13 NLT)

I start preparing for the Thanksgiving meal days in advance. I make a shopping list, buy all the ingredients, bake pies, thaw out the turkey, chop up onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and herbs--all before I start the ‘real’ cooking.  The prep work consumes a great deal of time and energy, but it is essential.

Similarly, I start each day with prayer prep. I make a list of things for which I am thankful. I write out my intercessions for others, lifting up people and circumstances into God’s caring arms. I ask for healing and cleansing. I preemptively put on my spiritual armor against evil. I take time to listen and understand God’s truths, to write down insights I glean from study. I try to follow through on whatever instructions the Lord places upon my heart. Preparing for my day through prayer takes time and energy, but I have learned it is essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment