streams

streams

Friday, November 9, 2018

Meaningful work

“Every man should eat and drink and find satisfaction in all his labor—this is the gift of God.” (Ecclesiastes 3:13 BSB)


I have not had a paycheck for over two decades now. I’ve spent most of my adult life taking care of my family and home--cooking, cleaning, driving, grocery shopping, homeschooling, volunteering, etc. I tie up loose ends so that things don’t come unraveled. My job doesn’t come with a title, office,  promotion, raise, insurance, or retirement benefits. From a worldly perspective, I am not gainfully employed.


Meaningful work is one of the greatest privileges a person can have. It is easier to feel purposeful when you have a job that pays well, garners respect, and noticeably improves people’s lives. Most jobs are difficult, but work that feels pointless can be particularly draining.


The ability to find satisfaction in your work is a gift from God. No matter what you do, it can be meaningful when viewed through the lens of serving God’s purpose. A life committed to the Lord is never useless.  Your work might be unpaid and unappreciated. Yet, as long as you devote your days to serving God in everything you do, your work is meaningful; your life is worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment