streams

streams

Monday, November 12, 2018

Hearing Aid

“The LORD God gives me the right words to encourage the weary.” (Isaiah 50:4 CEV)

The telephone game was a popular listening game when I was a child. A group of us would sit in a circle, and one person would whisper a phrase into the next person’s ear. This same phrase would be whispered until everyone had a chance to hear and pass it on. Once the game reached the end of the circle, the player would announce what she heard and compare it to the original speaker’s phrase. It would usually be very different and funny.

As I grow older, my abilities to hear and be attentive have decreased. If I don’t listen carefully, I can’t hear. If I don’t hear, I can’t pass on information accurately. This prevents me from communicating the right words to encourage the weary. Fortunately, the Holy Spirit becomes our hearing aid--amplifying everything we need to hear. When we listen, process, speak, and act with the aid of the Spirit, streams of empowering words flow through us to those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment