streams

streams

Thursday, November 22, 2018

Layers of Gratitude

“Give thanks to the LORD.” (Psalm 107:1 NLT)

It was a cold day, and I was planning to run outdoors. For me, there are two separate parts to getting ready before I do something difficult: physical and mental preparation.

I carefully picked out my clothing: two layers (top and bottom), two pairs of socks, two pairs of gloves, ear covering, stocking cap, balaclava to protect my face from the wind, and, finally, a full-zip jacket. I have learned that layering is the secret to staying warm in cold weather.

Next, I prepared my mind for the task ahead. I knew from experience that if I focused on the negatives, it would weigh me down, so I mentally went through a list of all that I was grateful for. The sun was shining; I wouldn’t have to run in the dark today. There was no new snow or ice to make the path slick. I would be running with friends, so safety was not a concern. My body was healthy enough for what I was about to do, and I would be stronger by the end of it. Just as I had put on layers of clothing to protect against the cold, I fortified my mind with layers of gratitude. I was ready to face the challenges that lay ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment