streams

streams

Monday, November 19, 2018

Recognizing Your Worth

“She is more precious than rubies.” (Proverbs 31:10 NLT)

I don’t get why gift wrapping is a thing. When someone presents me with an exquisitely wrapped gift, I stare back in confusion. It seems wrong to tear through such artistic creations in a few seconds. I remember having a baby shower at my workplace. My coworkers seemed  like they were trying to outdo each other in their creative wrapping--ribbons, cut-outs of baby animals, pom-poms, hand-stenciled paper tied up with twine...It was all very impressive. I dutifully opened each gift while everyone oohed and aahed. I don’t remember what was in any of those boxes. The only gift I remember from that day is a pair of hand-knitted baby booties that a friend had made. She handed it to me in some tissue paper. Even though it looked unassuming, I knew how much thought and effort went into this precious gift.

Most of us judge each other by our external wrapping, so it’s no wonder that we spend so much of our life embellishing the visible parts. Every accomplishment and acquisition adds yet another feather in our caps. With so much of our attention focused on the superficial, we fail to notice what’s hidden inside. Our souls carry a gift that is more precious than rubies--the Spirit of God. Once we recognize the value of what we have within us, we no longer waste time on the wrapping. Instead, we find ways to break through the facade in order to grasp our true worth.

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts about gift wrapping that is extravagant is that everyone has a gift that God has given them. Gift wrapping, let alone the artistic talent that goes along with it is their way of expressing what they have been given with you because you are worth sharing their authentic talent with you because you deserve the time it takes to do it.

    This is just my personal opinion since gift wrapping is something that just irritates me because it is not my talent, so tissue and a gift bag is my true authentic self.

    Much like some are authentic in sharing the words of the Bible because it expresses their passion and talent of sharing these lessons that others can relate to. As opposed to preaching these lessons which they dutifully believe with nothing to relate to that others can grasp.

    ReplyDelete