streams

streams

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Interconnection in Isolation

“The blessing of favor resting upon the righteous influences a city to lift it higher, but wicked leaders tear it apart by their words.” (Proverbs 11:11 TPT) 
There are no mandatory rules for isolation in our area, merely suggestions about social distancing. However, I have been in a self-imposed quarantine for over a month now. My husband, a healthcare worker, has an essential job. His usefulness to the community is undeniable. As for me, the activities that fill my day seem non-essential these days. This puts me in a funk. The temptation to distract myself or do something that feels semi-productive crops up daily. 
As the weeks pass by, I notice my values and perspective shifting. More than ever, my choice to stay home, or not, directly affects the community. There is an interdependence between my behavior and the health of others. I have to assess the risk vs. benefit for every desire. The welfare of my neighbors and friends are interconnected with my actions. This makes me rethink my earlier held views on how I can be useful. My self-isolation can be a blessing to those around me. 
Our words, choices, and behavior affect others in many ways. Kindness, selflessness, self-control, solidarity, and cooperation build up communities. Collective sacrifice can be achieved through individual  curtailment. We can lead by example. Truth and virtue are not always popular or convenient. Yet, they provide a hedge of protection against the spread of dishonesty. Social distancing may seem disconnecting, but an unwillingness to face the truth is far more isolating. 



No comments:

Post a Comment