streams

streams

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Wide Buffer Zones

“Do not leave the gates open during the hottest part of the day. And even while the gatekeepers are on duty, have them shut and bar the doors.” (Nehemiah 7:3 NLT)
In most cultures, the standard personal distance between acquaintances is about arm’s length. Until the recent pandemic, most of us were tolerant of occasional violations of our personal space, especially in crowds. Now that we know what we know, we are vigilant to keep wider buffer zones between ourselves and people outside our households. What used to be considered rude has now become polite. 
I have been reevaluating my psychological boundaries lately. I have noticed that I am less tolerant of people who are insincere, inconsistent, or infringing. I make allowances for loved ones, but I am more selective and guarded with those outside my intimate circle. This seems rude and abnormal, but I am learning that this is necessary for my mental health. Intimacy, energy, and space are precious commodities, and I am careful in how I use them. During these tough times, I have closed some gates. I allow less traffic in my life. I have accepted my need for wider buffer zones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment