streams

streams

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Listening Intentionally

“Speak. I’m your servant, ready to listen.” (1 Samuel 3:10 MSG)
I was listening to a podcast while running my usual route around the neighborhood. It was a windy day, and I was having difficulty hearing anything through my headphones.  I turned the volume up to maximum, but that didn’t help. I gave up, turned my headphones off, and said: “Speak Wind-- I’m listening!”
And the Wind replied: Pay attention. Keep your head down. Lean in. Feel my strength. You will have to go slowly for a while, until the next turn. Then I will be at your back and the going will get easier. 
When I am tuned in to the distractions of this world, I cannot hear God. Even though I know this from experience, I seldom shut the noise off. Unless I have no other choice. Some days, God speaks loudly enough to get my attention. Then, I stop everything else and listen intentionally.
And the Lord replies: Pay attention. Keep your head down. Lean in. Feel my strength. Approach slowly. Do not be afraid, for I am with you. I shall go before you and behind you. I shall surround you with my unconditional love. I will help you and uphold you. I bring forgiveness and healing. Trust in me. Rely on me. Ask and you shall receive. Seek and you shall find. My peace, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds. 


__

No comments:

Post a Comment