streams

streams

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

The Prayers of an Insomniac

“In the middle of the night I awake to give thanks to you.” (Psalm 119:62 TPT)

It’s 2:14 am. Like most other nights, I have woken up and can’t go back to sleep. Unrestrained thoughts run amok; some make sense, others don’t. I feel helpless, passive, tired, and drowsy. I have found one way to compose my mind: I list all the things for which I am grateful, in no particular order. I thank God for each and every blessing.

Lord, I thank you: for my family and friends and all the ways they are blessed, for clean air and the ability to breathe, for food and a working digestive system, for easy access to clean water, for legs that are strong enough to walk and run, for arms that can lift and carry, for dexterous fingers that can cook and clean and touch and type, for the ability to care for myself and my loved ones, for health, for medical insurance and medicines, for shelter and safety, for electricity, heat, internet, and other utilities, for cars that work and gasoline to fuel them, for financial peace, for books to read and thoughts to write, for love, faith, wisdom, and  humor, for technology that keeps me connected and informed, for the sweet memories of my precious dog, for the little comforts like socks, lip balm, and chocolate... 

The list goes on and on....eventually I drift back off to sleep, floating in gratitude and peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment