streams

streams

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Consumption Habits

"Think very carefully about your choices. You have planted a large crop, but your harvest is small. You have food to eat, but it is never enough to satisfy. You have something to drink, but you are never filled. You have clothes to wear, but they are not enough to keep you warm. You earn a salary, but the money runs out quickly, as if there are holes in your pocket.” (Haggai 1:5-6 VOICE)
In a nation where consumerism drives the economy and capitalism is worshipped, spending is seen as a sign of success. A certain amount of consumption may be necessary for survival, but it should not be mistaken for progress. Think about your choices carefully. Do you notice an imbalance? Are you planting more than you are harvesting? Does your life feel meaningful and fulfilling?  
Lately I have been more conscious of my consumption habits. If I added up all the food I eat, all the products I buy, all the media I consume, all the utilities, fuel, and services I use, it would be substantial. What I give back to this world is negligible in comparison. However, without intentional mindfulness, I can go through a day without being aware of my habits. An honest evaluation reveals that many of my choices are lopsided. They use up more resources than they add value. This realization is uncomfortable; thus, I am resistant to accepting it. Yet, I sense the need for change. 


No comments:

Post a Comment