streams

streams

Friday, June 26, 2020

The Path of Self-Discipline

“So I turned to the Lord God and pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes.” (Daniel 9:3 NIV)


 Asceticism is recognized as a path to wisdom in many spiritual traditions. In the third century AD, Christian hermits were drawn to the Egyptian deserts where they lived in solitude and austerity. These monks and nuns were known for their self-discipline and wisdom. 


These days, we live in a society that admires decadence. We strive for affluence as a means of escape. Self-discipline--unless it is a stepping-stone to worldly success--is seen as pointless. Yet, discipleship requires discipline. We cannot be followers of Christ while disseminating our energy with indulgent pursuits. 


Sacrificial living is not a means to earn grace or go to heaven. Self-denial in the name of religious rule-keeping leads to misery. Practicing discipline allows us to develop muscular souls. It leads to stronger moral character, deeper wisdom, and purposeful living. Even while our external lives look austere, our inner lives continue to flourish. We vigilantly remove distractions from our path as we focus on living fully, mindfully, and purposefully. 


“Ask me not where I live and what I like to eat. Ask me what I am living for and what I think is keeping me from living fully for that.” —Thomas Merton


No comments:

Post a Comment