streams

streams

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Talents and Limitations

“He gave five talents to one slave, two to the next, and then one talent to the last slave—each according to his ability.” (Matthew 25:15 VOICE)
TED talks are short, inspirational speeches given by experts in various subjects. These popular videos are often shared online among friends. Although I am a fan of TED talks, I rarely watch the videos. Instead, I go to the website and read the transcripts of the speeches. I do the same with sermons. I prefer reading to listening. Why? My brain processes information better when it is presented in a written format than in an audible form. It’s like the written word is my native language and audio is a second language that requires additional translation to absorb. I did not realize this about myself until recently. I just thought it was a personal preference, not a limitation. 
Here is another discovery: I cannot sit through media that portrays suffering, captivity, torture, or oppression for any length of time. I know that these things happen in the world, but I do not have the emotional bandwidth to handle watching this in video format. I want to be informed, but not overwhelmed--so I read the news instead of listening to it or watching it.
For some of us, acknowledging talents can be easier than admitting personal limitations. However, a realistic understanding of our strengths and weaknesses can bring clarity. We may want to change others, but we can only change ourselves. Periodic assessments of our values and behavior are necessary since we are continuously learning and growing. Self-awareness comes with contemplation, acceptance, and a willingness to yield to divine molding. 
"Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I'm wise, so I am changing myself." (Rumi)

No comments:

Post a Comment