streams

streams

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

K-Pop and Goliath

“He picked up five smooth stones from a stream and put them into his shepherd’s bag. Then, armed only with his shepherd’s staff and sling, he started across the valley to fight the Philistine.” (1 Samuel 17:40 NLT)

David was a young boy when he fought against Goliath. He was an unlikely hero-- untrained and under-equipped. Yet, he took what he knew, the slingshot and a few smooth stones, and brought down a giant. I was reminded of this story recently when an unlikely group of young people brought down giants. 

K-pop, or Korean pop music, is known for its army of superfans--aka ‘stans’. They are mostly known for promoting short videos of their favorite artists on twitter. As a middle-aged woman, I, for one, did not think much about them...until the last few weeks. During the global protests against racism, K-pop stans figured out a way to drown out racist twitter hashtags. They took what they knew best--organization, mobilization, and maximization of algorithms--and kept bringing down giants. They did what grown-ups, like me, couldn’t do. Their actions have inspired me to think of what little skill sets I might have at my disposal. I have had to take an honest inventory. It does not seem like I have much to offer in the grand scheme of things. Yet, I have decided to take whatever I have in me and sling it against evil. 


No comments:

Post a Comment