streams

streams

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Rest for Your Soul

This is what the Lord says:

Stand at the crossroads and look;

ask for the ancient paths,

ask where the good way is, and walk in it,

and you will find rest for your souls.

(Jeremiah 6:16 NIV)


There was a time when I equated vacations with rest. I would look forward to going on a trip, away from the routine chores and the monotony of everyday life. I expected a period of relaxation and leisure would be rejuvenating. However, I would come back from my travels feeling drained, needing to recover from my vacation. I continued following this practice of seeking rest in leisure, because that is what everyone else around me did. I stood at the crossroads and looked where the crowd was going, and I followed. 


Leisure activities may be less stressful than the pressures of work, but they are not necessarily restful. On a superficial level, recreation can feel exciting, but the benefits are often short-term. Silence and solitude, away from all external turmoil, can be more relaxing--but inner restlessness may continue to be draining.


Even when we are surrounded by turmoil, rest can be found in the presence of God. Deep rest, the kind that reaches the soul, is acquired through a sense of security and stability. Trust in God brings peace that transcends circumstances. Every day we come to a crossroad where we have to choose. Do we take the deserted paths or follow the crowd? Can we separate ourselves from the worldly way? Do we dare to follow Christ alone? 


No comments:

Post a Comment