streams

streams

Monday, August 31, 2020

The Good Life


“I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God than live the good life in the homes of the wicked.” (Psalm 84:10 NLT)


I just saw a video clip on social media. A bunch of young women are lounging in an infinity pool. The camera pans to show what looks to be an expensive house sitting atop a hill. Many of the comments were from those who aspired to this type of lifestyle. There was a time in my life where I desired similar pleasures and the admiration of others. 


This video made me realize how far I had come over the years and how much further I need to grow. These days, a ‘Good Life’ still involves avoiding suffering. I do not want to be in pain or hurt others. I do not want to stand by while any living being is harmed. I still seek pleasure--only the sources have changed. Loving relationships, nature, puppies, books, etc., make me happy. Authenticity, virtue, purpose, wisdom, understanding, truth, kindness, altruism, courage, discipline, health, love, trust, quiet, privacy, peace, and resilience are all valuable to me. However, I am still far from where I need to be. My life is still mired in earthly ideals. My heart  is still far from experiencing complete satisfaction in the presence of God.


What a beautiful home, God-of-the-Angel-Armies!

    I’ve always longed to live in a place like this,

Always dreamed of a room in your house,

    where I could sing for joy to God-alive!” (Psalm 84:1-2 MSG)


__



No comments:

Post a Comment