streams

streams

Friday, August 28, 2020

Sacred Cooking


So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NLT)


I remember the first and only time I ‘played house’ as a young child. The other little girls showed me how. We would pretend to cook, dust, feed the dolls, sleep for a minute, and then, get up and do it all over again. After the first cycle, I decided that I never wanted to play this boring, repetitive game.  


For the last twenty-five years, I have been a homemaker. I can’t say I have developed a love for the domestic arts, but I have learned how to do what I need to do efficiently. I plan the meals, buy the groceries, cook, wash dishes, wipe down counters, and then, do it all again the next day. I saw it all as mindless and monotonous work that just needed to be done. Holidays were the exception. I really enjoyed celebrating with special foods and making memories with my little family of three. 


I’ve had a change of attitude lately. I am beginning to realize that every day is holy and taking care of others is sacred work. I take a minute to center myself before I start cooking. I remember to be grateful for the onions as I am slicing them--even though they make my eyes water. I pray for my family’s health as I sprinkle turmeric into everything, whether it is an Indian or Italian dish. I watch my husband and son at the table as they eat. I ask the Lord to bless and nourish us, to fill and satisfy us. Afterwards, as I clear the table, I silently repeat the following verse:


“Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.” (Ephesians 3:20 NLT)



No comments:

Post a Comment