streams

streams

Monday, May 24, 2021

Intercessory Prayer


“You and your prayers are part of the rescue operation—I don’t want you in the dark about that either. I can see your faces even now, lifted in praise for God’s deliverance of us, a rescue in which your prayers played such a crucial part.” (2 Corinthians 1:11 MSG) 

A friend who has been battling cancer added me to his WhatsApp prayer group. It is a large group with over seventy members. I am a silent participant. I have never posted anything in the two years since the message board was created; yet I read every update and pray privately. I am inspired by my friend’s courage. The fervent prayers of his family and friends seem to feed his faith. I am grateful to be a witness and shareholder in this process. 

From an early age, I believed in the benefits of intercessory prayer. As a child, I had a list of people for whom I prayed. I would repeat the same names daily--as if it were my responsibility to remind God of those who needed help. Some of those for whom I prayed were healed; others were not. Even though my prayers were not 100% effective, I continued the practice. It energized my spirit. I knew I was powerless to effect change on my own, but I felt empowered when I advocated for others.

The power of intercessory prayer goes beyond those who are being supported. It strengthens the faith of those who are doing the lifting as well. We are allowed to be witnesses, mediators, and investors in the lives of those for whom we pray. As we hold a person up in prayer and assist God as He works, we become a crucial part of the divine rescue operation. Even though we are powerless to effect change on our own, we are empowered as we align ourselves with God. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment