streams

streams

Friday, May 7, 2021

Psalm 82


Pause in his presence. Defend the defenseless, the fatherless and the forgotten, the disenfranchised and the destitute. Your duty is to deliver the poor and the powerless; liberate them from the grasp of the wicked. But you continue in your darkness and ignorance while the foundations of society are shaken to the core!” (Psalm 82:2-5 TPT)

I am empathetic to the plight of the defenseless, the disenfranchised, and the destitute--but there is little that I can do to affect change. I am not powerless, but neither am I powerful. I am not an elected leader who can drive policy decisions. I am not a judge or an attorney with judicial knowledge. I am not a lobbyist or an activist with influence. I rarely even leave my house these days! These verses must be meant for the movers and shakers of this world. 

Then...I sensed the Lord shushing me.  Instead of using my inabilities as an excuse to look away, I asked God to reveal how I could help the poor and the powerless. As I paused in His presence, I was reminded of the following lines from the Book of Isaiah:

“The Lord Yahweh has equipped me

 with the anointed, skillful tongue of a teacher—

 to know how to speak a timely word to the weary.

 Morning by morning, he awakens my heart.

He opens my ears to hear his voice, to be trained to teach.” 

(Isaiah 50:4 TPT)

 

The Lord equips each of us uniquely. Perhaps, like me, you have been blessed with abilities to teach, listen, encourage, speak, or write. Or maybe you have resources, influence, time, experience, strength, or other privileges. These special powers can be used to bring light into darkness.  Systemic injustices are often hidden within long-held traditions. It takes some effort and attention to advocate for the defenseless and the disenfranchised. It is up to us to figure out how to use our talents and opportunities to bring about change.


No comments:

Post a Comment