streams

streams

Thursday, May 20, 2021

Lifetime Guarantee


“Everyone knows our God can be trusted, for he keeps his promises to every generation!” (Psalm 100:5 TPT)

What does it mean when a product is sold with a lifetime guarantee? Is it the lifetime of the product, the original buyer, or the manufacturer? Will the guarantee be voided if the product is used unconventionally? Are there recurring maintenance costs associated with the warranty? 

About twenty years ago, I bought an expensive knife with a lifetime guarantee. The salesperson told me that the guarantee was valid even after my death--should I choose to pass it on to future generations. I didn’t ask too many questions at the time of purchase. I figured that the product must be reliable since it came with a lifetime guarantee.  A few months after I bought the knife, I noticed it was no longer sharp. To get it sharpened, I would have to pay a shipping fee which came to 10% of what I originally paid for the knife. I counted up the cost of a lifetime of sharpening and realized I had been duped. I was definitely not going to pass on this recurring expense to future generations! 

What are we to make of God’s promise to be faithful through all generations? Are there conditions attached? Is there a recurring cost? Does it require faithfulness on the part of the future generations? 

Here is what I know from my own experience and from what has been shared with me by my ancestors. God’s love is unconditional. Grace does not have to be earned by good behavior on our part. God’s goodness is everlasting, even though humanity continues to be frail. God is trustworthy. His faithfulness endures from generation to generation. We can count on this lifetime guarantee to extend into eternity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment