streams

streams

Friday, May 28, 2021

Simple Prayer


“‘Lord, help!’ they cried in their trouble, and he rescued them from their distress.” (Psalm 107:6 NLT) 

My Catholic upbringing taught me to memorize and recite traditional prayers that were often long and intricate. I find comfort in the rhythmic repetition of vocal prayers in communal settings. Even in private, there is a flow in using familiar words. It feels like remembering the lyrics to an old hymn. 

There are times when I am too stressed out to focus on longer prayers. When I am at my wit’s end, I have learned to whisper the simplest of prayers: 

“Lord, help!”

Immediately, my attention shifts from the trial to God. I become aware that my helplessness is an opportunity for God’s power to take over. This allows me to surrender my fear, anxiety, desperation, confusion, exhaustion, inability, or whatever other emotion I am feeling into God’s capable hands. The Lord hears simple requests. He knows my condition better than I can express. When I am in trouble, I call out for the Lord’s help. He  rescues me from distress. 


No comments:

Post a Comment