streams

streams

Monday, May 31, 2021

The Benefits of Praise


“Praise the Lord!” (Psalm 113:1 NLT)

My neighborhood has some beautiful trees. The dogwoods and redbuds bloom every spring. The apple trees are laden with fruit in the fall. The white trunks of the birch trees shine in the sunlight. The oaks and maples wave in the wind. The stately blue spruces provide shelter to rabbits and birds. As I run by these trees, I look at each of them admiringly. I can’t help but acknowledge and appreciate their magnificence. This fills me with joy! 

There was a time when I didn’t think much about trees. I knew they were there, but I had other things on my mind. It took me decades to recognize the glory of nature. Even now, I do not speak my thoughts out loud to the trees. They neither need nor benefit from my praise. They are not moved by my compliments. Yet, acknowledging their beauty contributes to my well-being. 

When we praise God, we honor His magnificence. Our souls are energized when we magnify Him. There may be times when our minds are preoccupied with earthly concerns, and we don’t notice the Glory in our midst. When we fail to recognize the Divine presence, our spirits become depleted. The Lord neither needs nor benefits from our acknowledgment. He is not influenced by our applause. We praise the Lord because it contributes to our well-being. Appreciating Him brings us joy. Exalting Him elevates our spirits.


No comments:

Post a Comment