streams

streams

Friday, May 14, 2021

Self-Nourishment


“Then the angel of the LORD came again and touched him and said, “Get up and eat some more, or the journey ahead will be too much for you.” (1 Kings 19: 7 NLT)

At a point in his life, the prophet Elijah was too worn-out to nourish himself. The angel of the Lord touched him and said: Get up and eat. Elijah obeyed the gentle nudge. He got up and fed himself. He was strengthened for the journey ahead. 

A young friend of mine is trying to eat healthfully. She regularly plans and cooks dishes that her children and husband enjoy. These foods do not fit her current diet goals, so she ends up eating prepackaged frozen meals.  She does not have the energy, time, or inclination to cook for herself. 

Have you ever heard someone else say out loud something you recognize in yourself...and it makes you cringe?

I am eager to cook meals that others enjoy, but I rarely take the trouble to make something nourishing for myself. Why? I have been programmed to believe that good wives and mothers take care of others. Even ‘self-care’ is relegated to appearing physically attractive and acceptable. I have followed this pattern of thinking for so long that I didn’t even question it until now. As a mature Christian woman, I am not setting a good example for younger women. 

I feel convicted to make a change, to obey this gentle nudge. I have to reevaluate certain ingrained ways of thinking. Learning to nourish myself is integral to the journey ahead. It is also a good example to those coming along after me.


No comments:

Post a Comment