streams

streams

Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Blessed Thoughts


“May the LORD bless you and take care of you; 

May the LORD be kind and gracious to you; 

May the LORD look on you with favor and give you peace. 

And the LORD said, ‘If they pronounce my name as a blessing upon the people of Israel, I will bless them.’” (Numbers 6:24-27 GNT)

 

The practice of saying ‘God bless you’ when someone sneezes originated during the bubonic plague. Sneezing was one of the symptoms of the disease. The practice was started by Pope Gregory in the sixth century. Centuries later, we reflexively bless complete strangers when we hear a sneeze. And the sneezer will respond ‘thank you’ without further thought. 

 

The current pandemic has prompted me to say blessings over people who express any sign of distress. When I hear from those who are unwell, I immediately pray for them. I do this silently, because most people seem defensive about their need for Divine help. Their immediate response is to explain that they do not have Covid and how their symptoms are related to some other issue. Thus, I keep these blessed thoughts to myself and pray secretly. I am counting on God’s promise that blessing others in His name has power, even when it is inaudible. I am hoping they sense God’s goodness, healing, and peace. 

 

May the Lord bless you, take care of you.

May the Lord be kind and gracious to you. 

May the Lord look on you with favor and give you peace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment