streams

streams

Thursday, September 9, 2021

Delaying Reactions

 “Don’t sin by letting anger control you. Think about it overnight and remain silent.” (Psalm 4:4 NLT)

I was mistreated by an acquaintance. Each time I indulged her whims, her expectations escalated. I felt angry and confused. I was uncertain on how to handle the situation. I did not want to appear unchristian, but I also didn’t want to be a part of this drama. The opinions of others influence the way I see myself. I waited and thought about it overnight. The next day, I made some changes. I admitted that I had allowed this person to bust through my boundaries, because I didn’t want to seem unkind. I realized I needed to put a stop to the relationship, even if it ruined my self-image. 

Anger should neither be ignored nor suppressed. Pay attention. Dissect your emotions to see why you are bothered. Don’t distract yourself or avoid dealing with the issue. When you are upset, your reactions and actions are not rational. Thus, it is wise to take some time to cool off before you speak up or make changes. Don’t let your anger control you. Delay your reactions until you have time to think things through, but don’t put off difficult decisions indefinitely. 


No comments:

Post a Comment