streams

streams

Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Hard Hills

 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33 NIV)

I don’t like running up hills. It slows me down and tires me out. When I map out routes for long runs, I try to avoid hilly areas as much as possible. After my long runs, I drive through hills without a second thought. Elevation changes feel challenging when running, because I am depending on my own strength. Hills are hardly noticeable when driving, because I am using the car’s horsepower. 

In this world, we will experience troubles and challenges. We may try to avoid them as much as possible, but we can’t go very far in any direction before we encounter trials. When avoidance is not possible, we attempt to manage by controlling the situation. All of these coping mechanisms are exhausting. As long as we continue to operate under our own strength, we will be overwhelmed by hills of life. However, even mountains become mole hills when we rest confidently in God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment