streams

streams

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Gradual Training


“Demonstrate Your ways, O Eternal One. Teach me to understand so I can follow. Ease me down the path of Your truth. Feed me because You are the True God who has saved me. I wait all day long, hoping, trusting in You.” (Psalm 25:4-5 VOICE)

Dog training requires a lot of time and patience. It has taken me a whole year to train my dog to ‘settle’ or sit calmly in one spot. First, I would sit next to him and feed him little treats every time he remained still. After a few months of this, I would walk a few steps and come back to feed him.  Now, I can actually walk away for a few minutes. As long as he can still see me, the dog will remain still. 

Similarly, training my spirit to ‘settle’ has taken some time and patience. I depend on the Lord to show me, teach me, feed me, and ease me down the path of Truth. It has been a gradual learning process. At first, I could only focus for a few seconds before I got distracted. I would need frequent rewards to remain motivated. It took some practice, but I have learned to remain still in God’s presence. I wait as long as it takes, hoping, trusting in God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment