streams

streams

Monday, September 6, 2021

Creativity

 He has gifted them and made them expert engravers, designers, and embroiderers using blue, purple, and scarlet thread on fine linen. They are master weavers, skilled craftsmen, and expert designers.” (Exodus 35:35 VOICE)

I’m one of those people who favor productivity over creativity, practical over aesthetic, useful over decorative. I rarely take the time to doodle before I start typing. I only read nonfiction. I grow vegetables, not flowers. I don’t decorate food. I was raised to believe in efficiency; creative pursuits were deemed frivolous.

My austere stance was recently put to the test while watching the reality show The Big Flower Fight.  On this show, teams compete with each other to create floral works of art. They spend days making elaborate creations that would start wilting shortly after they finished. Everything they designed was decadent, inefficient, and sumptuous. Their work may not change the world or even be noteworthy. Yet, they were enjoying the act of creation. 

God designed the earth and every living creature. He made the stars, planets, and comets. His Creation is extravagantly good. Humans are made in God’s image; thus, we are made to be generative, artistic, and innovative. Creativity opens our imagination and awareness. It allows us to  dive into our subconscious and deepen our understanding.  The creative spirit within us seeks expression. When we share our gifts, talents, and skills, we become image-bearers of God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment