streams

streams

Friday, September 3, 2021

Tired and Vulnerable


“Then he lay down and slept under the broom tree.” (1 Kings 19:5 NLT)

The prophet Elijah was exhausted. Queen Jezebel’s bullying and badgering had worn him out. He sensed his own vulnerability, so he retreated to the wilderness. 

During busy seasons of life--especially when others are depending on me--I rarely pause for breaks. Any sort of retreat feels weak. I sense that I am off-kilter, like a bird standing on one leg. It wouldn’t take much to push me over. Mental fatigue lowers my resistance to manipulation. There are times when I am in this state of exhaustion, but I refuse to acknowledge it. Instead, I fixate on staying busy and preoccupied by all that is left to be done. I fail to accept that I am a sitting duck--susceptible to predatory machinations. 

I pray that I may have the discernment of Elijah--to recognize when my brain is not functioning on all cylinders, when I am imbalanced, and when my spirit is drained. Lord, teach me to withdraw and rest until I am restored. 


No comments:

Post a Comment