streams

streams

Monday, September 20, 2021

How to Deal with Bullies


“Get rid of a conceited person, and then there will be no more arguments, quarreling, or name-calling.”  (Proverbs 22:10 GNT)

When I was in high school, there were two girls who bullied me. They teased and taunted me whenever they had a chance. I didn’t know what to do, so I just tried to hide from them. I wondered what they got out of bullying me. If I had known what they wanted, I would have given it to them. I just wanted them to get off my back. I didn’t stand up to them. I didn’t fight back. Instead, I put up with the torment until they moved on to other targets. 

I wish I had known then what I know now. 

Bullies are basically extortionists who want to feel powerful and superior. You can identify them by their conceit, insults, arguments, and animosity toward others. First, they just push a few buttons to see how you react. They make condescending remarks and scoff at your ideas. If you shrug this off, it emboldens them. They will demand that you do things their way. If you go ahead and do their bidding, hoping that will satisfy them, you are mistaken. Giving in to their manipulation spurs them on further. You have to stand your ground. Surrendering to their whims fuels their sense of dominance over you. Get away from bullies if you can. If that is not possible, be resolute in your principles. Do not be ambivalent or deferential. Stand firm in your truth.  


No comments:

Post a Comment