streams

streams

Monday, October 18, 2021

Background Noise


“The Lord answered her, ‘Martha, my beloved Martha. Why are you upset and troubled, pulled away by all these many distractions? Mary has discovered the one thing most important by choosing to sit at my feet. She is undistracted, and I won’t take this privilege from her.’” (Luke 10:41-42 TPT)

Background noise of any sort impairs my concentration. If I am in a public space, the low hum of chatter reduces my ability to hear and process information. My brain works best in complete quiet. Knowing this, I rarely turn on music or the television while doing anything that requires focus. I drive in silence. I read in silence. I write in silence. 

The noise of worry can be equally distracting. Like a bee, it buzzes around my mind, attracting more of its kind.  Soon there is a swarm of anxieties clamoring for attention. When I am upset and troubled, I am pulled in different directions. The resulting internal cacophony blocks my ability to hear from God. 

Trust and gratitude can turn down the volume of background worry. It is a privilege to be still and focus.  The spirit is most sensitive when we live in complete trust. Keep worry to a minimum. Hand over all concerns to God. Remain constantly grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment