streams

streams

Friday, October 29, 2021

Wide Margins


“When you harvest your land, don’t harvest right up to the edges of your field or gather the gleanings from the harvest.” (Leviticus 19:9 MSG)

Most airlines intentionally overbook their flights to ensure that there are no empty seats. They sell more tickets than there are seats on a flight, in case someone cancels or does not show up at the last minute. This common practice leads to a great deal of hassle for passengers and crew--but bumps up profit for the industry. 

In contrast, our local veterinarian has a habit of leaving unscheduled hours in his week for emergencies that may come up. He is more concerned about the animals he serves than about maximizing profits. This is probably not the most productive business model, but it benefits the local community.  

I have learned to emulate the local veterinarian and not the airline industry. When I plan my budget and schedule, I intentionally leave wide margins for the unexpected. I try not to harvest right up to the edges of my fields. This may seem unproductive and unambitious, but it brings me peace. Rarely do these gleanings go to waste. Somehow, the extra money always finds a need, the extra space always gets filled, and the extra energy always gets used up.  


No comments:

Post a Comment