streams

streams

Thursday, October 28, 2021

Core Values


“By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back. So let’s keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us.” (Philippians 3:14-16 MSG)

Here is a question I have been pondering for a while:

What are my core values? 

How I spend my time, money, and energy is an indicator of what I find worthwhile. Activities, attitudes, and aspirations are not values, but they reveal what matters to me. For example, the bulk of my time and energy are invested in housework, reading, writing, learning, and running. These activities, in and of themselves, are not my core values, but they point to what is important to me. 

Housework represents caring for my family--cooking nutritious meals, keeping everything clean and sanitized, providing a nurturing space, ensuring the home is a place of security, stability, privacy, and comfort. Reading, writing, and learning have always been inherent desires within me. The craving to think deeply, to understand, to be consciously aware, to authentically express myself--is part of who I am. Tangential yearnings for silence, solitude, and privacy stem from these innate needs. Conversely, running does not come naturally to me at all. I am built to run like a chicken is built to fly. I can’t even say I enjoy running. Yet, I pursue it as an avenue to developing discipline, consistency, endurance, and resilience. These are characteristics I value highly. 

By no means do I count myself an expert in any of these pursuits, but I’ve got my eye on the goal of following my authentic calling where God is beckoning me.  I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back. I keep focused on becoming who I am created to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment